SDL Tridion is a hugely scalable product and so when I wanted to scale out the Publisher onto it’s own dedicated machine I thought the steps to do this would be easy to find so I searched the online manual for the steps but all I found was one single paragraph:
You can install the Publisher on one or more dedicated machines. On a dedicated machine, you can configure the Publisher for a multiprocessor machine, or increase the number of Publisher threads. You can also create Publishers that only accept content from certain Publications or Publication Targets, or with a certain Publish Priority.
Woo hoo! That’s exactly what I need! But that was it…. nothing else on that page?
So if anyone else is looking for the steps to install the Publisher on a dedicated machine, here are the steps I followed:
- Transfer the Content Manager install files to your new server
- Double Click and Run the Installer
- Select only the Content Delivery Windows Services, Content Manager and Context Expressions features
- Complete all your user account and database details that you completed when you initially installed your Content Manager
- Complete the details for the Content Manager website
- Transfer your license files into the correct locations just like you did with your Content Manager installation
- Restart the server
The core Content Manager components have now been installed on your new server but you only need a few of the Windows Services. To complete the setup you need to:
- Stop and Disable the Tridion Content Manager Workflow Agent Service, the Tridion Content Manager Service Host Service, the Tridion Content Manager Search Indexer and the Tridion Content Manager Batch Processor Service
- Transfer your cd_transport_conf.xml file from your Content Manager Server to the same location on the new Publisher Server. Restart the Tridion Content Distributor Transport Service.
The new Publishing server is now ready to publish but you need to log on to the Content Manager server to stop it doing the Publishing. On the Content Manager Server:
- Stop and Disable the Tridion Content Manager Publisher Service and the Tridion Content Distributor Transport Service
You should now be able to publish an item from the CME and the new Publishing Server will pick it up and transport it to your Deployer.